Lack of access to safe water

Joseph Mukasa

17 Jan, 2012 11:05 AM

Allow me to introduce myself, my names are as above. i work with communities trough a local NGO Namely Association for countrywide Afforestation that was founded in 2004 and registered in 2007. ACA programs and projects focus on areas of ; Environment conservation, Community development, Water and sanitation, Energy and household income through sustainable organic agriculture practices.

We implented a programme in Kiboga district which was funded by Canadian High Commission which included Tree planting and promotion of energy saving stove. The project targeted the community in two sub-counties namely Mulagi and Kapeke. The aim of the project was to re plant trees in areas which was facing acute shortage of firewood as a tresult ot over cutting ot trees for charcoal and firewood. this left the area suffering. Soil degredationand poverty was evident in most parts of the 36 villages. A number of trees were planted and many stoves built and we trained some local trainers to act as viilage resource persons to contine with the project afterphasing out. The three yar progam was a one time grant so we could not involve other activites.

The major problem we saw was lack of safe and clean water. In some areas people fetch water from the same source were animals drink from. In other areas women and children have to walk long distances to fetch water which is unhealthy and this was really a burden because a lot of time is wasted.

We are looking for friends to partner with so that we could save the situation in which some of the above families are facing.
Let us hope that we are in a position to understand and find a solution to the above problem.

We are at your disposal incase you need any additional information.

Regards,

Joseph Mukasa

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mark Westra on 28 Feb, 2012 04:29 PM

Dear Joseph,

At Akvo, we don't implement water and sanitation projects. However, in Uganda there are a lot of NGO's working on water and sanitation, such as AMREF (http://www.amref.org/who-we-are/our-contacts/africa/)

You could have a look at this page (http://www.akvo.org/rsr/projects/all/?locations__country=21&con...) which contains (among others) 10 water/sanitation related projects in Uganda, by various partners.

Best regards,
    Mark Westra
    Programme Manager and Editor Akvopedia
    Akvo Foundation - www.akvo.org

2. Mark Westra closed this discussion on 28 Feb, 2012 04:29 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Akvo please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac